For many years, my husband lugged home bottled water every week from our local grocery store. The plastic waste seemed endless. But our city tap water had a strong chlorine smell and taste, and we questioned its safety as well, so bottled water seemed like the best option.
Then one day we finally had enough of the cost, waste, and inconvenience of all the plastic jugs. So we went on a quest for affordable, high-quality, home drinking water filtration systems.
Both Bottled and Tap Water Can Be Contaminated
We studied dozens of water filtration systems, insisting on the following:
- excellent water quality and taste
- easy installation and maintenance
- easy, low-cost filter cartridge replacements
- overall cost savings compared to bottled water
Both bottled water and tap water, we discovered, are frequently contaminated and unsafe, according to many consumer advocates such as Environmental Working Group, known for their research on environmental toxins.
Filtered Tap Water is Your Safest Option
Experts urge consumers to use ONLY filtered tap water as the safest and most environmentally-friendly option, refuting the common belief that bottled water is the safest choice.
National Resource Defense Council (NRDC) and Environmental Work Group (EWG) both explain that bottled water is not held to the same filtration and disinfection standards as city tap water. In addition, the waste chokes our landfills with billions of plastic bottles per year, as 80% of them are never recycled.
While many affordable filters improve drinking water quality significantly, we found that Aquasana filters have several advantages that made them our first choice:
- Removes 66 Water Contaminants. This is by far the most removed, and at an affordable price. The Everpure H-1200 takes second place with 59 contaminants removed, but it is much more expensive with the faucet sold separately. At a distant third are several that remove 40 to 50 contaminants. But all the runners-up miss some of the more dangerous contaminants, such as mercury, asbestos, or chloramines.
- Removes Lead. Aquasana filters are NSF certified to remove 99% of lead – which has leached into water pipes in Milwaukee, Flint, and elsewhere – as well as 99% of asbestos, turbidity (sediment), VOC’s, pharmaceuticals, and cyst microorganisms.
- Removes Chlorine, Mercury, and more. NSF certified to remove 96% of chlorine, chloramines, mercury, pesticides and herbicides.
- Retains beneficial minerals such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium for great tasting, healthful water.
- Low start-up costs. Whether you chose an under-counter, above-counter, or pitcher-filter variety, the prices range from under $100 to around $300, depending on the model, and are frequently on sale at even lower prices.
- Easy installation. We purchased the Aquasana 2-stage under-counter water filter, which requires basic do-it-yourself installation skills. (See under-counter installation instructions to know if this is for you.) If not, the above-counter model has all the same purification features and can be installed in just a few minutes. (Note that the above-counter unit will not work if your faucet doubles as a pull-out sprayer.)
- Powered Filtration Pitcher. If you prefer the same great water with no installation whatsoever, then the Aquasana pitcher system might be best for you. It filters 320 gallons of water between 6-month filter changes and has the same purification features as Aquasana’s installed models. Comparable brands filter 100 gallons or less between filter changes.
- Low Ongoing Costs. If you enroll in Water for Life, Aquasana’s filter replacement program, you will automatically receive new filter cartridges at a 15% discount every 6 months. The program includes an extended warranty for all replacement parts for the duration of your no-contract membership.
We have been happy Aquasana customers for over 5 years, paying about 10 cents per gallon for safe, delicious water, knowing that it is free of dozens of common contaminants and that we are living a more environmentally-friendly lifestyle.Because Aquasana filters remove contaminants right at the point of use – immediately before the water comes through your faucet – you don’t need to worry about exposure to contaminants that might leach from old lead pipes or hardware along the delivery system. We definitely need this peace of mind in today’s world.
Please leave a comment or review. I’d love to hear about your own experience.